During July 2008 the SPILO WELLNESS COMMITTEE was established. The committee consists of voluntary salaried and wage employees representing all levels of Spilo Technical Textiles.
The aim of the Wellness Committee is to be a sounding board for employees. They identify and address Spilo employee challenges, assist the Directors of Spilo in identifying relevant social responsibility commitments and help promote employee wellness in general.
The company allows the committee to meet during working hours. Meetings are held as the need arises, at least once a quarter. During the meetings, the committee members bring wellness issues to the table, they brainstorm wellness and fundraising ideas and identify new and relevant social and community projects they would like their company to become involved in.
Projects the Spilo employees have supported.
- Debt Counselling for employees
- Clothing and bedding to the HAVEN NIGHT SHELTER
- Toys to KANYISA DAY CARE, ISLAND OF HOPE and DRAKENSTEIN CENTRE FOR PERSON WITH DISABLITIES
- Copier to AMHARIC
- Copier to BUTTERFLY HOUSE
- Paper to SINETHEMBA DAY CARE
- Food donated to SINETHEMBA DAY CARE
- Collection and handover to the PAARL PRINT FAMILY SUPPORT FUND after the fire at Paarl Print.
- Food parcel SMARTIE TOWN SOUP KITCHEN
- Donations to VALCARE TRUST for the Mbekeni crèches.
- Donation of Pallets to churches and schools identified by the Wellness Committee
- Every year on casual day employees support the LIGSTRAAL SCHOOL
- Yearly on site voluntary HIV testing
- Spilo has also been involved in supporting “THE CLOTHING BANK”. This is an initiative empowering unemployed mothers. Many of our employee’s wives and daughters have broadened the family income by being involved in this project. www.theclothingbank.org.za
- Spilo has set aside an area on its premises to be used as a retail outlet for the sale of food and non-perishable goods. Spilo provides the site, electricity, water, maintenance, fire equipment free of charge to individuals identified by the Wellness Committee (unemployed entrepreneurs) on a yearly basis.